Our Mission, Goals & Objectives
The Friends of Sengekontacket Inc is dedicated to the preservation of Sengekontacket Pond and the Barrier Beach.
- To protect and preserve water quality in Sengekontacket and Trapp’s Pond.
- To preserve habitat for aquatic plants, shellfish, birds and animals.
- To promote environmentally sound management and use of the pond and barrier beach.
- To initiate, support, and fund research and activities that will benefit the Sengekontacket Pond system and the Joseph Sylvia State Beach.
- To provide an outreach program for public awareness of and education on the Sengekontacket watershed.
- To collaborate with the watershed residents, recreational and commercial pond and beach users, and all relevant levels of government in developing and implementing conservation strategies for the protection of Sengekontacket and Trapp’s Pond and the Joseph Sylvia State Beach.
- Spring cleanup of State Beach.
- An extensive outreach program with a focus on proactive land use practices.
- Co-sponsor the Barrier Beach Task Force with Dules County.
- Actively participate in the testing of the waters of the Pond.
- Support the use of oysters and clams to mitigate nitrogen pollution.
- Work closely with governmental leaders such as the MVC, Shellfish Constables, and Board of Supervisors.
- Monitor the flushing of the Pond and the dredging program.
- Manage the Carry in - Carry out program with Edgartown and Oak Bluffs schools.